Geared For How Boys Learn
We get boys and how they learn best! Interactive and hands-on, we focus on proven research methods to motivate and engage middle and high school boys. Excellence in academics stems from passionate teachers, a rigorous structured schedule, a challenging college preparatory curriculum, and career-oriented electives. Around the clock, we get boys thinking, moving, experimenting, and exploring. Ignite your love of learning and pursue your passions and interests!
Army and Navy Academy is a private independent school geared specifically for boys in grades 7-12. Founded in 1910, the campus is similar to a college setting, with full academic, athletic, and recreational facilities. Learn more about our rankings, the ANA Difference, and check out our curriculum by department.
Private School Rankings
- Ranked in the Top 5 Boarding Schools in California by World Scholarship Forum.
- Ranked in the Top 20 Private Schools in San Diego County by Private School Review.
- Ranked as one of the Best Boarding Schools for a number of sports by Boarding School Review.
- Nationally recognized as a Model School for Boys.
- Recognized as an Honor Unit with Distinction by the national JROTC.
The Army and Navy Academy Difference
Since 1910, we have studied the research, science, and best practices behind how boys learn. To keep our faculty and staff well-trained on the latest learning methodologies, we conduct regular training sessions and implement boy-focused strategies. Army and Navy Academy utilizes instructional techniques tailored to how boy’s brains work, learn, and become motivated to reach their full potential. Learn more about how we can help boys succeed in middle and high school.
With our emphasis on mental fitness for teenage boys, here are just some of the differences you will witness in our classrooms: stand-up desks, fidget toys, hands-on exercises, project-based learning, interactive technology, research-based learning, movement, music, team-building, and much more.
Our core curriculum is based on the University of California’s entrance requirements and our college-preparatory curriculum includes Advanced Placement (AP) and honors courses.
A STEM focus in core classes, alongside electives like computer science and aviation set us apart. Robust visual and performing arts electives taught by professionals, include: ANA TV, band, drama, music technology, and photography.
We offer trips abroad and in the U.S. to broaden the educational experience. Additionally, we work with universities and community partners to offer internship and service programs like the Stanford University Cardiovascular Institute Internship Program.
Our academic support such as mandatory study time, tutorials, and faculty evening office hours provide the resources teenage boys need to achieve in the classroom.
As our graduates head off to prestigious colleges, universities, and service academies, they move into the world with a greater sense of identity, purpose, and moral grounding.
THE SINGLE-GENDER MODEL
Army and Navy Academy has been a model school for boys since 1910. We study and apply the latest science behind how boys learn both in and out of the classroom. Our faculty and staff work in a collaborative manner to ensure these evidence-based practices are implemented 24/7.
Army and Navy Academy utilizes instructional techniques tailored to how boy’s brains work, learn, and become motivated to reach their full potential.
Stand-up desks, fidget toys, hands-on exercises, project-based learning, interactive technology, movement, music, team-building, and much much are incorporated into the classroom. We use the best of what the military offers in terms of structure and leadership training and weave this into a fun and dynamic hands-on learning experience.
WHAT SETS US APART
Since 1910, we have transformed the lives of boys in grades 7-12. Unlike other private schools, the Academy is exclusively geared to motivate boys to reach higher.
- Small class sizes (15:1 student-to-teacher ratio)
- Personal support and attention from teachers
- After school tutorial and office hours
- Robust success plan for college acceptance
- Emphasis on character and leadership throughout all subject matter
- Career oriented electives in aviation, computer science, game development, cyber security, and media
- Diverse offerings in the visual and performing arts
- Support programs for international students though our English for speakers of other languages (ESOL)
- Learning Strategies program to support students with mild to moderate ADD, ADHD, Dyslexia and other learning differences
- Mental fitness, self-discipline, structure, motivation, and goal-setting woven into the fabric of daily campus life
- Advanced Placement and Honors Classes
- Rigorous University of California curriculum
- STEM focus complemented by related electives and clubs
- Educational trips in the United States and abroad
At our boarding school, academics extend beyond the classroom. Teachers are available for tutoring immediately after classes end and in the evenings during their office hours. Highly dedicated to our students, they also coach or supervise sports and clubs. Our faculty will help you take the lead in your life!
“This is not a school — it’s an institution for life, success, cultural intelligence and relationships. The range of diversity among the cadets helped me to grow with others of all different backgrounds. I use what I learned at Army and Navy Academy more in my everyday life than my college education.”
— Alex H. (Alumnus)