Learn what the Army and Navy Academy, a boarding school geared for boys in grades 7-12, has to offer in terms of amenities and benefits. There are additional campus services and programs to be explored when you visit this beachfront campus.
If you are looking for a boarding school on the beach in California, Army & Navy Academy offers a life-changing experience for boys.
Benefits of Boarding School
Transforming lives since 1910, Army & Navy Academy was founded to offer middle and high school boys an experience specifically geared towards how boys learn, engage, and develop. Offering both boarding and day options, this college prep private school experience is boy-centered and the campus reflects this focus.
There are many benefits of attending this boarding school, but to name a few, the combination of a prime beachfront location, fully equipped campus, and University of California standard-based curriculum, make this campus a stand out amongst West Coast boarding schools and U.S. military academies.
Army & Navy Academy is ranked in the top 20% of private schools in California by Private School Review, an Honor Unit with Distinction and nationally recognized as a model school for boys. Graduates matriculate to top universities, including: Stanford, Cornell, NYU, Johns Hopkins, UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, UCI, UC Davis, West Point, Annapolis, and other prestigious public and private universities.
The campus setting includes a wide range of boarding school amenities, including academic classrooms and labs where boys do hands-on learning, interactive team work and research-based projects. The student enrichment center, recreation hall, state-of-the-art athletic facility, and beachfront all offer teenage boys a chance to get mentally and physically fit.
Set on over 16 acres on a historic beachfront property, this private boarding school is similar to a college setting. The campus is fully equipped with a health center, bookstore, dining hall, athletic facilities, and dorms. Departmental offices include: executive, academics, admission, athletics, business, operations, technology, transportation, and summer programs to support and facilitate a life and college prep education and all aspects of student life.
Alongside academic classes and labs, a stellar leadership program is facilitated in the Student Enrichment Center. The center unifies academic classes, JROTC leadership training facilities, and meeting space to promote integrated and collaborative learning. This addition was completed in 2020 as part of a long-term expansion program.
Unlike most public schools in California, where counselors are often overwhelmed by the number of students they manage, the counseling center at ANA is able to give every cadet highly personalized attention. The center offers academic scheduling, college planning services, tutoring coordination, as well as individual and group counseling for social/emotional support. The academy even has a school psychologist available.
Even though families often ask questions about facilities when they first contact the admission office, a campus tour is really the best way to really get a feel for campus and learn more about the benefits of boarding schools. Army and Navy Academy is the only west coast boarding school exclusively geared for boys in grades 7-12, with a West-Point style leadership program.
For specific information about each facility, read more below or contact the admission office to schedule a personalized campus tour. For international students, we offer a virtual tour online and individual appointments by remote.
- Classrooms and Labs – Classrooms are designed with male students in mind. Everything from stand up desks, fidget toys, science labs, technology, and aviation simulators are all geared to engage and motivate boys in middle and high school.
- Visual and Performing Arts – Unlike other private day schools in San Diego, Carlsbad is home to the New Village Arts Theater, Oceanside Museum of Art, and a number of fine art and photography galleries. Students perform on the campus stage and have also performed at the New Village ArtsTheater. A fully equipped band room, iMAC computers for music composition, an art studio overlooking the ocean, and a fully equipped audio-visual studio for ANA TV are all located on campus.
- Bookstore – The ANA Bookstore is an important hub on campus to buy uniforms, books, snacks, apparel, and purchase school supplies.
- Student Enrichment Center – This stellar facility offers classrooms and meeting spaces that are ideal for specific academic classes and leadership training.
- Library – The library offers resources, computer stations, and digital resources.
- Information Technology – To ensure students/cadets have computer equipment, internet access and other resources, the IT department plays a vital role on campus. The academy is a 1-1 Chromebook school with state-of-the-art Promethean Boards in every classroom.
Student Life Facilities:
- Dormitories – Dorms (aka “barracks”) at Army & Navy Academy offer boys a place to study, connect with their roommate, and sleep. Cadets learn to hang their clothes in precise order, keep an organized desk, and make their beds daily.
- Security – At Army & Navy Academy, a high tech facility is used for campus surveillance, accountability, and communications. Residential life officers (aka “TACS” – Trainer/Advisor/Counselor) can be contacted through this office and it is also the place where cadets check-in and check-out.
- Health Center – The registered nurse and trained medical support staff are essential in handling health documentation, medication distribution and monitoring, treatment of minor injuries and illness, student infirmary, and transportation to doctors and dentists.
- Dining Hall – Nutritious meals are served daily with a wide variety of proteins, vegetables, fresh fruit, carbohydrates, and dairy. Check out our daily menu under the Daily Schedule on our website.
- Transportation – This is an important department on campus to coordinate buses and shuttles to the airport, as well transport students to various weekend activities and academic trips.
- Beachfront Facilities – Beach volleyball, firepit, lifeguards, surfing and bodyboarding equipment are just part of what makes the Army & Navy Academy’s beachfront campus so popular with the school’s teenage boys.
- Swimming Pool – Beyond beach access, many students also enjoy swimming and participating in water polo as a sport of choice.
- Recreation Hall – The recreation hall overlooking the beach is a great place for students to enjoy camaraderie, play games, watch movies, and get snacks.
- Duffield Sports Center, Bliss Stadium, and Maffucci Field – This state-of-the-art athletic facility is known for being a top facility in Southern California. From basketball courts, to weight rooms, to athletic fields, the Academy’s athletic facilities are second to none.
- Finance – This office is used to handle financial plans, accounting audits, account payables, account receivables, financial assistance, and payroll.
- Admission – This office is primarily for prospective families to check-in, go on tour, and complete the application process.
- Executive Office – This office is for the president and his support team. Along with the Board of Trustees, the president works with the board on strategic plans, capital improvements, financial sustainability, and more.
- Counseling Offices – Counseling is set up with private offices for the counselors so they can meet individually with students on various topics, including: academics, college planning, as well as social and emotional issues. The academy also has an on-site psychologist.
- Cadet Life Offices – These offices are for the individuals that work with cadets after school during tutorials, sports, leadership drills, evening study time, and dorm meetings. They provide a high level of mentorship and support to the Corps of Cadets.
Local Access Facilities:
- Shopping – The Shoppes at Carlsbad is a mall within walking distance of the school. Students are allowed to go to the mall during local liberty. Shuttles also take students to the mall on selected weekends.
- Entertainment – Movie Theaters, theme parks, and educational excursions are all within San Diego County and Orange County lines. These include places, such as: USS Midway, Disneyland, Knott’s Berry Farm, Oceanside Harbor, Midway Museum, Surf Museum, and much more.
- Hiking – San Diego county is well known for spectacular ocean view hiking trails at Torrey Pines. There are also special excursions to trails in the mountains and desert.
- Boating – Approximately 10 minutes from campus by our school bus, the Oceanside Harbor offers students weekend activities, including boating and fishing trips.
- Local Transit – Just around the corner, there is quick access to the transit system, with a drop off at the Amtrak Station heading north. Heading south, many students use this as the method to get to the San Diego International Airport.
- Airports – Three airports offer ease in traveling to and from campus, unlike many boarding schools in remote locations. The San Diego International Airport is approximately 45 minutes from the campus. LAX is approximately 2 hours from the campus and John Wayne Airport, in Orange County is approximately 45 minutes from campus. Shuttles, Taxis, Uber, and Lyft services are prevalent in San Diego county.
- Hotels – Families often stay locally to visit the school or visit their sons once they are enrolled. Several boutique and large hotels are within walking distance or short drives from the school, including: Beach Terrace Inn, Omni La Costa Resort & Spa, Sheraton Carlsbad Resort, Grand Pacific Palisades Resort, MarBrisa Carlsbad Resort, Four Seasons, and Westin Carlsbad Resort & Spa.
- Restaurants – When families come to visit, they often enjoy going to one of the local restaurants in the village on State Street or on Carlsbad Village Drive. Popular choices include: Shorehouse Kitchen, Vigilucci’s, Paon, and Norte Mexican. Of course, cadets also tend to enjoy Knockout Pizza, Subway, and Del Taco!
- Banks – The Bank of America is located within walking distance on Carlsbad Village Drive. Students are encouraged to learn the basics of finances and typically have a debit card for personal use (based on parent limits).
In summary, campus facilities are just one part of what makes a boarding school special and different. However, it is truly the people and unique programs that are the heartbeat of campus. A caring faculty and staff, personalized mentorship, career and college oriented classes and electives, JV and Varsity sports, stellar leadership training, all contribute to the great hum on this beachfront campus.